Thursday, March 24, 2011

Raisin Scones

Hi y'all! I thought I would spend this week baking some new things. I made scones once about 17 years ago when I was 11 or so. That was a huge fiasco! My older sister was suppose to be "helping" me. I miss read the measurements on an ingredient. Normally that would be no big deal.. a little extra flour or sugar here and there no big deal, right? Yeah.. I miss read the amount of salt! instead of 1/2 a teaspoon I put in 1/2 cup of salt! No one would eat them.. Even my brother who eats everything! I've been scared to try them again, but its time to get over those fears and try making new things!

Raisin Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins.

In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)

Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.



Eat and enjoy!

Do you have any baking fears?



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This looks so scrumptious. I was creating a food blog too, but I did not keep up with it. I so hope you can. I received a catalog from someone selling Avon in my mailbox today and I was highly offended by it. Your the only Avon lady for me. When I have some extra funds I will definitely buy, I will have to call you. My fave produst thus far is Fergie's Outspoken and the eyeliner, "Blackest Black" love it and it has been a staple for me for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa! I'm hoping I can do well with this one. I had another blog called I'm me, what More Do you Want that I had trouble keeping up with.. I ditched it for this one. Ha!
    You can always order at my Avon store online. There is a link to it on the right hand side of this blog. Also, I have an Avon givaway ending tomorrow. There is a link to it at the top of this page..

    ReplyDelete