Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lemon Basil Cookies

 Hi Y'all!

When I found this recipe I just had to try it! The Hubs has been growing some Lemon Basil and we have not used it for anything yet. I had him clip me off some, along with some regular basil. I didn't have a lemon, and really didn't feel like going to the store for one lemon. I did however have an orange hanging around..



Lemon Basil Cookies:
1 cup fresh basil leaves (or lemon-basil)
1 3/4 cups sugar (divided)
1 lb. butter, softened
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbs. lemon zest (or orange zest)
1 large egg
6 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse basil and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor or blender until blended.
Beat butter at medium speed in mixer fitted with paddle attachment until creamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating well. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and egg, beating until blended. Gradually add flour and basil mixture and continue to beat until mixed. My mixer was not happy with the amount of flour that went into this recipe. After adding all 6 cups of flour, I took the dough and kneaded it by hand to get all the flour mixed in.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment/wax paper. Flatten balls slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. I also found that this dough is thick enough that you can roll it out and use cookie cutters on it, I did a few shaped cookies this way and also did the flattened ball method. I think I like the flattened ball method better. It give the cookies a more rugged appearance. 



Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

 Eat and Enjoy!


This recipe has been link at Crazy Sweet Tuesdays


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment