Friday, March 9, 2012

Blue Moon Cupcakes

 Hi Y'all!

I got a couple new frosting tips the other day and have been waiting for a chance to use them! I got an Ateco 804, 807, and an Ateco 843. I got to use the 804 and 843.

So with my shiny new tips, I had an excuse to whip up some cupcakes. I have been dying to try out these Blue Moon cupcakes. I don't drink very much, but I love me some Blue Moon beer! I found a few different recipes out there for these cupcakes, and liked this one the best, but I took the Orange Cream Cheese filling from another Blue Moon recipe. It was suppose to be a frosting, but it was a bit too runny, so I used it as a filling. It was absolutely perfect as a filling!




Blue Moon Cupcakes

3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 drops red food coloring
10 drops yellow food coloring
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 1/4 cup Blue Moon beer

Directions:

In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In your electric mixer cream together butter and sugar on medium/low speed.
 
Add in your eggs one at a time until they are incorporated.

Mix in vanilla, orange zest and food coloring. My cupcakes came out a little too yellow, so watch the food coloring when you add it..


The one on the left is what your cupcakes should look like, the right one has too much yellow in it..


Alternately add in your flour mixture and beer. When it is all incorporated, pour batter into 24 cupcake liners about 2/3 full and bake at 375 for 18 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.




Frothy Foamy Frosting:

2 egg whites
tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp-1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1/3 cup of water

In a sauce pan over medium heat mix sugar cream of tartar and water together over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to bubble. Remove from heat.

In your electric mixer whip egg whites until soft peaks start to form. Add in orange juice and vanilla extract. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Slowly add in water sugar mixture. Beat continuously for 7 minutes. 

Mine came out a bit too thick, so I added more orange juice to thin it out some. I can't remember the exact amount I used, but just add until you are happy with the consistency.


Orange Cream Cheese Filling:

1 package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1.5 oz ( one shot glass) Blue Moon beer

Blend the cream cheese, butter orange juice and zest, and Blue Moon in mixing bowl at medium speed until smooth.
Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until light and creamy.
 Scoop out center of cupcake (keep the top you scoop out), using a teaspoon fill each cupcake. Place scooped out piece back on cupcake and frost with the frosty foamy frosting.
 Garnish with an orange slice.

Eat and Enjoy!

This recipe has been linked up at Addicted to Recipes, Crazy Sweet Tuesdays


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I had to come by and see what the haps are on your blog. I'm sold. I love cooking with beer and wine. I will so be trying out these cupcakes this summer when I want something citrus-y and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for stopping by! These cupcakes are delish!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-5.html



    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for stopping by! I will check out your linky party!

      Delete
  3. That frosting is gorgeous! I need to try it for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete