Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review Thursday- The Lens and the Looker by Lory S. Kaufman

Hi Ya'll! Remember a few weeks ago when I mentioned i was going to be a part of a book tour? Well the time has come to post my first review for the Lory Kaufman book tour!


The Lens and the Looker by Lory S. Kaufman
The Lens and the Looker is about 3 “hard case” teens in the 24Th Century. Each for their own reasons are being sent to History Camp for a month. History Camp is a place where unruly teens are sent to live like people in the past in hopes that they will learn a valuable lesson.
 Hansum, Lincoln, and Shamira are sent to 14Th century Verona Italy and must learn to live without all the modern technology they are use to having. Shamira is to be the kitchen girl, while the boys are to be apprentices to a lens maker. The 3 teens who, obviously, are not learning a lesson decided to have some fun at the expense of the History Camp workers. But things go awry when the meet a strange man who takes them back in time to the real 14Th century Verona.
Imagine being able to travel back into time, knowing you would be able to go home after a few weeks.. Sounds like fun right? This has always been a fantasy of mine. I would love to go back in time and see how things were done, how life was… So obviously I found the concept for this book to be very intriguing. I love the idea behind the History Camps and wish they were real so I could go!!
Once in the real 14Th century Verona the mystery man sets the teens up with a family, where once again Shamira/Carmella is the kitchen help and Hansum/Romero and Lincoln/Maruccio will be apprentices to a lens maker. Their new family consists of Master Della Cappa, his wife and their daughter Guilietta and one other apprentice, Uglino.
I found the story line to be easy to follow. Although the switching back and forth between the teens real names, and their camp names took some getting use to. At first I thought the romance between Hansum/Romero and Guilietta was going to be a Romeo and Juliet remake, I’m not so sure now. It could still turn that way in the next book, in which I cannot wait to pick up and read!
Overall I found this book to be quite enjoyable to read and would recommend it to anyone interested in time travel. The Lens and the Looker had just the right amount of twist and turns to keep me wanting more. Although the role Uglino played in the end was a bit predictable.
My rating 4/5
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment